Thursday, September 10, 2009

Catholic, Evangelical, Lutheran, Charismatic, Episcopal...

Well, here I am, blogging. Who would have guessed?

Why have I joined this elite club? Several reasons. 1)Theologically, I really want to try to organize my thoughts better. 2)I want to grow in my understanding of faith in everyday life. 3)Since I am not really doing active, programmatic ministry right now, I need an outlet, before I explode.

So, thanks for joining me. I hope that you check back regularly, because I need your input. I want to grow, and I need your comments to do that. We are all after the Truth, right?!?! I promise to make them short...

I thought I would start out by telling you a little about myself, through the faith lenses of several different faith traditions that I have traveled through over the last several years:

Catholic
I consider myself Catholic. I was born and raised Catholic. I got my Masters Degree in Theology from a Catholic University. My beliefs line up most closely with Catholic Theology. I also find it refreshing that the church leadership, for the most part, speaks Truth, even when it isn't popular.
Evangelical
I found my faith in college, surround by a mostly Evangelical student body. It was here that I learned how to live my faith. I grew in depth of ministry and faith-understanding, while challenging others, and being challenged myself. I say now I am Evangelical because I wear my faith on my sleeve, I believe deeply in the authority of Sacred Scripture, and I enjoy the style of music.
Lutheran
The ELCA was my first ministry opportunity, and I worked in the church for over 5 years, (if you don't count camping ministry). Although we have since parted ways (which I am sure we will get to later), I am deeply indebted for the start they gave me; the training, the challenges, and the opportunities. I enjoy engaging with Martin Luther theologically, and in my five years, I was a fierce advocate for youth leadership, and the need for deeper scriptural understanding among the laity.
Charismatic
Yes, you have read it; I am charismatic. I belong to a prayer group of the Catholic Charismatic Renewal. I have the gift of speaking in tongues, and have been known to speak words of prophecy. It's amazing to be in that atmosphere, were people are miraculously being healed, lives are being radically changed, and people are filled with joy. It is what Christianity needs more of.
Episcopal
I can thank my wife for this one. Since we are one, that makes me Episcopal as well. I love The Book of Common Prayer, and we frequent the church of the pastor that married us in Racine. A predecessor to the ELCA in it's recent shifts in policy, both Michelle and I are at odds with many of the recent decisions of the church. But one of my favorite bible scholars (N.T. Wright) is Anglican, which is the more conservative "mother" of the American Episcopalian church.

Well, that's me..Surprised? Tell me what you think?

"...but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint." Is. 40:31

No comments:

Post a Comment